Dr. Pouyan Rezvani
General InformationPouyan Rezvani is an Iranian postdoctoral researcher at the project PAL. In his PhD dissertation he worked on two hitherto unpublished astrolabe texts by Abū Rayḥān Bīrūnī under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan P. Hogendijk at Utrecht University. He was an academic member of the department of the history of science at the Encyclopaedia Islamica Foundation (Tehran, Iran) from 2013 to 2018. His special interest is history of astronomical instruments in Medieval Islam.
Short Curriculum Vitae
- PhD: Utrecht University, Mathematics Institute, GS-Natural Sciences, 2019. Dissertation: “Two Treatises on the Astrolabe by Abū Rayḥān Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad Bīrūnī (973-1048 A.D.)”; Promotor: Prof. Dr. Jan P. Hogendijk.
- MA: University of Tehran, Institute for the History of Science, Astronomy in Islamic Civilization, 2011. Thesis: “Theoretical Foundations of Sundials in Islamic Civilization with Persian Translation and Commentary on Ibn al-Haytham’s Risāla fī al-Rukhāmāt al-Ufuqīyya (Treatise on Horizontal Sundials)”; Advisor: Dr. Mohammad Bagheri.
- BSc: University of Arak, Faculty of Science, Physics, 2009.
- “Chronology of the Events of the Samarqand “Observatory and School” Based on some Old Persian Texts: a Revision” (with Hamid-Reza Giahi Yazdi), Suhayl (International Journal for the History of Exact and Natural Sciences in Islamic Civilisation), vol. 14, Barcelona, 2015, pp. 145-165.
- “Two Early Persian Texts on Shadow Schemes and the Regulation of Prayer Times”, Suhayl (International Journal for the History of Exact and Natural Sciences in Islamic Civilisation), vol. 13, Barcelona, 2014, pp. 119-147.
- Introduction to the Facsimile Edition of Three Treatises by Thābit ibn Qurra (Sundials, Solar and Lunar Motions, a Fourteen-Sided Solid Inscribed in a Given Sphere), Miras-e Maktoob (written heritage) Publications with the Collaboration of Institute for the History of Science (University of Tehran), Tehran, 2014.