Pouyan Rezvani, M.A.
Research Fellow 2018
General InformationPouyan Rezvani is an academic member of the history of science department at the Encyclopaedia Islamica Foundation, Tehran, Iran. He is doing his PhD project on two unpublished astrolabe texts by Abū al-Rayḥān al-Bīrūnī under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan P. Hogendijk at Utrecht University. His special interest is history of astronomical instruments in Medieval Islam.
Short Curriculum Vitae
- PhD Student at Utrecht University, Mathematics Institute, GS-Natural Sciences; Project Title: “The Unpublished Astrolabe Texts of Abū al-Rayḥān al-Bīrūnī (973-1046 A.D.)”; Promotor: Prof. Dr. Jan P. Hogendijk
- MA: University of Tehran, Institute for the History of Science, Astronomy in Islamic Civilization, 2011 Thesis: “Theoretical Foundations of Sundials in Islamic Civilization with Persian Translation and Commentary on Ibn al-Haytham’s Risāla fī al-Rukhāmāt al-Ufuqīyya (Treatise on Horizontal Sundials)”; Advisor: Dr. Mohammad Bagheri
- BSc: University of Arak, Faculty of Science, Physics, 2009
- “Chronology of the Events of the Samarqand “Observatory and School” Based on some Old Persian Texts: a Revision” (with Hamid-Reza Giahi Yazdi), Suhayl (International Journal for the History of Exact and Natural Sciences in Islamic Civilisation), vol. 14, Barcelona, 2015, pp. 145-165.
- “Two Early Persian Texts on Shadow Schemes and the Regulation of Prayer Times”, Suhayl (International Journal for the History of Exact and Natural Sciences in Islamic Civilisation), vol. 13, Barcelona, 2014, pp. 119-147.
- Introduction to the Facsimile Edition of Three Treatises by Thābit ibn Qurra (Sundials, Solar and Lunar Motions, a Fourteen-Sided Solid Inscribed in a Given Sphere), Miras-e Maktoob (written heritage) Publications with the Collaboration of Institute for the History of Science (University of Tehran), Tehran, 2014.